In the world of innovation and entrepreneurship, the “Shark Tank” platform has seen numerous fascinating ideas come to life. Among them is the Copy Keyboard, a device designed to simplify the repetitive task of copying and pasting. The product, pitched by CEO Scotty Trujillo, aimed at revolutionizing data input tasks for professionals and students alike.
This article delves into the journey of the Copy Keyboard post its “Shark Tank” appearance – exploring its performance, challenges faced, and the strides made in the market. We’ll look at how it fared after the spotlight of the show and what the future holds for this unique invention.
What Is Copy Keyboard?
Key Features and Functions
Copy Keyboard is a freestanding numeric pad designed to simplify the process of duplicating and pasting text on your computer . Whether you’re operating on a Mac or a Windows desktop, the Copy Keyboard stands out as an excellent tool for enhancing your productivity and efficiency. Notably, it operates on a plug-and-play basis, requiring only a USB port to begin; there’s no need for intricate software installations or lengthy setup procedures. To initiate text copying and pasting, simply connect the keyboard to your computer.
Constructed with precision CNC machining, this keyboard boasts top-notch acrylic material, ensuring durability and resilience to heavy usage. Its keys are mechanical and feature laser engraving, delivering a satisfying tactile response while safeguarding the characters and symbols from fading over time.
The Copy Keyboard is offered in two distinct versions: the original model and the V2, which boasts the addition of LED lights. The LED version not only adds a stylish flair to your workspace but also illuminates the keys in a striking black-and-white design. Both variants share a common advantage in their compact and lightweight construction, rendering them highly portable and ideal for on-the-go use.
The Copy Keyboard not only streamlines and accelerates tasks by minimizing the necessity for repetitive keystrokes, but it also serves as a valuable safeguard against inadvertent errors during the execution of routine copy-and-paste operations. This makes it an indispensable tool for managing substantial volumes of text or code, in addition to facilitating everyday activities such as web browsing and email composition.
Maintenance of this keyboard is a breeze; a simple wipe-down with a damp cloth is all it takes to keep it clean. For a more thorough cleaning, the keys and keycaps can be effortlessly detached.
- Simplicity: The most significant advantage of the Copy Keyboard is its simplicity. It has two buttons: one for copying and one for pasting. This simplicity makes it highly user-friendly, especially for those who aren’t particularly tech-savvy;
- Ergonomics: The Copy Keyboard promises to alleviate the strain caused by continuous copying and pasting. For individuals who spend long hours copying documents or data, this could be a game-changer in terms of reducing wrist fatigue and discomfort;
- Convenience: The Copy Keyboard is a plug-and-play device, meaning you can use it without having to install any software. It’s also compact, making it easy to carry around and use wherever you are;
- Functionality: Despite its simplicity, the Copy Keyboard delivers functionality. It works as promised, allowing you to copy and paste with just the press of a button. This feature can significantly speed up tasks that require frequent copying and pasting, improving productivity ;
- Limited Features: While the simplicity of the Copy Keyboard is a pro, it can also be a con. The device only has two functions, which may not justify its cost for some users. If you don’t frequently copy and paste, the utility of this device may be limited;
- Compatibility Issues: The Copy Keyboard is designed to work with all computers. However, some users have reported compatibility issues with certain operating systems or software. It’s crucial to ensure that your computer or software is compatible with the Copy Keyboard before purchasing;
- Durability Concerns: While the product has generally received positive reviews, there have been some concerns raised about its durability. Some users have reported that the keys can become unresponsive over time, which could be a significant downside if true;
Who May Benefit From Using Copy Keyboard:
- Data Entry Professionals: Data entry often involves a lot of copying and pasting. The Copy Keyboard can make this process faster and less tedious, potentially increasing productivity;
- Writers and Editors: Writers and editors often need to copy and paste text while working on documents. The Copy Keyboard can streamline this process, saving time and reducing the risk of errors;
- Programmers and Developers: Coding often involves reusing snippets of code, which means a lot of copying and pasting. The Copy Keyboard could speed up this process, making coding more efficient;
- Office Workers: Many office tasks, such as preparing reports or managing spreadsheets, involve copying and pasting data. The Copy Keyboard can make these tasks easier and faster;
- Students: Students often need to copy and paste information while researching for assignments or taking notes. The Copy Keyboard can simplify this process, allowing students to focus more on their studies;
- Graphic Designers: Designers often reuse elements in their designs, which requires copying and pasting. The Copy Keyboard can make this process more efficient, freeing up time for creativity ;
What Do Users Think About Copy Keyboard?
For many users, the device proved to be straightforward and user-friendly, earning praise for its ergonomic design and compatibility with various computer systems. Some customers even found it brought a sense of joy to their computing experience, as it simplified their tasks. One satisfied user, Nick, discovered the Copy Keyboard on Shark Tank and was particularly pleased with its quality and functionality.
However, it’s important to note that not all customers have been equally satisfied with their purchase of the Copy Keyboard. Some individuals felt that the product was overpriced and questioned its suitability for a broader audience. It’s worth mentioning that, since its market introduction in 2021, the Copy Keyboard has generated only $ 42,209 in gross revenue sales.
The product’s limited appeal may stem from the fact that many users already possess keyboards with similar functions, rendering the Copy Keyboard redundant for some. The diverse range of opinions and the modest sales figures underscore the importance of conducting thorough research when considering such purchases. This serves as a reminder that not every product, even those showcased on platforms like Shark Tank, will necessarily meet the needs and expectations of all consumers.
About the Founders Of Copy Keyboard
Prior to venturing into the world of technology and keyboard design, Scotty’s journey led him through different roles and experiences. He began his career as a screen printer and also took on the role of owner at Great Greek Shirts. Subsequently, he served as the E-commerce manager at the California-based ERI Company, accumulating four years of valuable experience in the field. In January 2021, Scotty officially launched the Copy Keyboard. His foray into product creation was accompanied by an astute marketing move – he created a video showcasing the product and shared it on TikTok. To his amazement, this video rapidly gained popularity and went viral within a few weeks.
Today, this TikTok video has accumulated an impressive 20+ million impressions, reflecting the remarkable reach of the Copy Keyboard. Scotty’s background in e-commerce platforms, networking, and marketing undoubtedly played a crucial role in this viral success. The product gained substantial traction, resulting in thousands of dollars in sales.
Recognizing the need for effective marketing strategies to further boost sales, Scotty made the strategic decision to present the Copy Keyboard on the entrepreneurial television show “Shark Tank,” setting the stage for potential growth and investment opportunities.
The Pitch Of Copy Keyboard At Shark Tank
Scotty, the founder of Copy Keyboard, entered the Shark Tank seeking a $ 40,000 investment in exchange for a 25% equity stake in his company . He shared that he personally engaged in 50 copy-and-paste actions on the keyboard each day, and some of his customers were even more prolific, copying and pasting up to 1,000 times daily.
Scotty’s motivation for creating the Copy Keyboard stemmed from his own need. He had attempted to purchase a similar product but couldn’t find one, prompting him to create the Copy Keyboard himself. The viral success of the Copy Keyboard video on social media, with over 20 million views, caught the sharks’ attention.
Lori Greiner inquired about Scotty’s extensive copying and pasting and he explained his background as a former e-commerce manager, where he frequently had to transfer documents to spreadsheets, necessitating the frequent use of these functions.
The product gained recognition as one of the top tech gifts of 2021 during the Christmas season. Scotty expressed his need for the investment to expand his inventory and meet the increasing demand for the product.
Scotty shared that he published a video of the keyboard on December 1st, 2021, and by December 2nd, he had received a $ 20,000 order. He personally handled the programming, packaging, and shipping of the product from his own kitchen.
The cost of producing one keyboard was $ 9.14, but with 2,000 orders, the cost dropped to $ 6.15. The standard USB version was priced at $ 19.99, while the LED version sold for $ 24.99. The company had achieved sales of $ 42,209 up to that point.
Despite the success, Scotty mentioned that he did not have a patent for the product. Mark Cuban, Lori Greiner, Daymond John, Kevin O’Leary, and Robert Herjavec all decided not to invest in the business for various reasons.
In the end, Copy Keyboard did not secure a deal in Shark Tank, despite its promising start and growing sales.
Copy Keyboard After The Shark Tank
Notably, the company’s dedication to innovation led to a feature on PopSugar Culture, and the product is readily available for purchase on the official website as well as on Amazon. In addition, it has found its way into brick-and-mortar stores in Fresno, California, expanding its reach.
The product lineup offers four distinct models to cater to various preferences. There are two standard keyboard models available in classic black and white, while the more style-conscious users can opt for the LED-lit keyboards, which maintain the original two color options.
Scotty’s appearance on “Shark Tank” was driven by a commitment to address the sole limitation of the device, primarily focused on increasing production efficiency and reducing wait times. With the company’s dedication to ongoing improvement, it’s an exciting journey to anticipate what new innovations and models Scotty will introduce through Copy Keyboard in the future.
The Net Worth Of Copy Keyboard
During the pitch, Scotty, the founder of Copy Keyboard, presented the company with an estimated net worth of $ 160,000. In his proposal to the sharks, he sought a $ 40,000 investment in exchange for a 25% equity stake in his company. This offer was made in an effort to secure the necessary capital and expertise to further develop and expand the business.
Customer reviews have been highly positive, with users expressing their satisfaction with the product. Many customers have reported that Copy Keyboard has enhanced their productivity and played a protective role by saving their CTRL, C, and V keys from wear and tear. These positive testimonials underscore the practicality and benefits of the product, making it a valuable addition to computer users seeking efficiency and convenience.
At the moment, these keyboards can exclusively be acquired through the company’s official website. As of the time of this writing, only the black standard keyboard is in stock and available for purchase. Prospective buyers interested in the other models should anticipate a 2-3 week waiting period.
The product has garnered positive attention. With an average rating of 4.9 stars based on 47 reviews, it’s evident that the Copy Keyboard has gained favor among its user base .
Sales are steadily progressing, with the product finding popularity, especially among individuals in tech and administrative roles. At the present moment, the estimated value of Copy Keyboard stands at $ 200,000, underscoring its growing presence in the market.
Alternatives To Copy Keyboard:
- Shortcut Keys: Apart from the well-known Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V, there are other shortcut keys that can be used to copy and paste. This includes Ctrl+Insert to copy and Shift+Insert to paste, as well as Ctrl+Shift+C to copy and Ctrl+Shift+V to paste. For Mac users, Command+C and Command+V can be used;
- Mouse Actions: Some people prefer to use mouse actions to copy and paste. This can be done by highlighting the text and right-clicking to copy, then right-clicking again to paste;
- Touchscreen Pens: Devices like the Wacom Bamboo and Surface Pen allow users to write directly onto their screens, which can be a more intuitive way to work with text;
- Voice Recognition Software: Programs like Dragon Home can transcribe speech into text, eliminating the need to type altogether;
- Alternative Keyboards: There are alternative keyboards and adaptations available for those who struggle with traditional keyboards. These include ergonomic keyboards, on-screen keyboards, and keyboards designed for single-handed use;
- Copying Tools: There are also tools like Pasteasy and Multicopy that make it easier to manage multiple copied items at once;
- How did Copy Keyboard do after Shark Tank?
After appearing on Shark Tank Season 14, the Copy Keyboard has made some progress but it hasn’t been a runaway success. As of 2023, the product has only generated $ 42,209 in gross revenue sales. However, it has reached millions of households and offices, helping users save time and reduce discomfort from excessive copying and pasting.
- Who is the CEO of Copy Keyboard?
The CEO of Copy Keyboard is Scotty Trujillo. He pitched his product on Shark Tank and continues to lead the company’s efforts to simplify the process of copying and pasting for users everywhere.
- How does Copy Keyboard work?
The Copy Keyboard is a simple device with two keys: “copy” and “paste”. It connects to your computer via USB and is designed to streamline the process of copying and pasting text. The keyboard requires no software installation, making it easy to use. Just press the “copy” button to copy highlighted text, and the ‘paste’ button to paste it wherever you need.
- Where can I buy the Copy Keyboard?
You can purchase the Copy Keyboard directly from their official website or other online retail platforms.
- Can I use the Copy Keyboard on any computer?
Yes, the Copy Keyboard is compatible with both Windows and Mac computers. It requires no software installation.
- Was the Copy Keyboard featured on Shark Tank?
Yes, the Copy Keyboard was pitched on Shark Tank Season 14 by CEO Scotty Trujillo.
- How successful was the Copy Keyboard after appearing on Shark Tank?
As of 2023, the product has generated $ 42,209 in gross revenue sales. However, it has reached millions of households and offices, helping users save time and reduce discomfort from excessive copying and pasting.
- Does the Copy Keyboard require batteries?
No, the Copy Keyboard does not require batteries. It is powered through its USB connection to your computer.
- What is the most successful product sold from Shark Tank?
The most successful product ever sold from Shark Tank is the Scrub Daddy, a versatile household sponge. The product was pitched by Aaron Krause in Season 4, and it has since generated over $ 200 million in sales.
- Is Shark Tank real or fake?
Shark Tank is a reality TV show, and while it does involve real entrepreneurs pitching their businesses to real investors, some elements are dramatized for entertainment purposes. The entrepreneurs do have to give actual pitches, and the deals made on the show are real, but they are contingent on due diligence processes after filming. Not all deals that are agreed upon on the show end up going through.
- Does Shark Tank pay you?
Entrepreneurs who pitch on Shark Tank do not receive payment for appearing on the show. However, they have the opportunity to secure investment from the “sharks” – successful businesspeople who use their own money to invest. The sharks only invest in businesses they believe have the potential for success.
Useful Video: “The Product Is Crap!” Robert Disses Copy Keyboard