Brass Roots, an innovative health food company known for its use of the superfood Sacha Inchi seed, made waves when it appeared on the reality TV show, Shark Tank. While they didn’t secure a deal on the show, the brand’s journey didn’t end there.
This article delves into the evolution of Brass Roots post-Shark Tank, exploring how the company has grown, the challenges it faces, and the unique niche it has carved out in the health food industry. Join us as we unravel the story of this remarkable brand that continued to thrive even after the spotlight of Shark Tank faded.
What Is Brass Roots?
The Brass Roots brand offers an array of delectable treats, such as Crunch Puffs, Butter Bites, Roasted Sacha Inchi, and an assortment of other savory delights. Their prices span from $ 14.99 to $ 23.99, catering to diverse budget ranges.
These delectable snacks can be found on the Brass Roots official website, Amazon, Sprouts, Whole Foods Market, and numerous other retail outlets.
The Product Line Review:
1) Organic Sacha Inchi Seed Butter
The Organic Sacha Inchi Seed Butter, which is marketed as a healthier alternative to peanut butter, has received mixed reviews. Some customers appreciated the nutritious profile but found the unsweetened version bland. If you’re looking for an alternative to peanut butter that’s packed with nutrients but doesn’t mind a lack of sweetness, this could be an excellent choice .
2) Roasted Sacha Inchi Seeds
The Roasted Sacha Inchi Seeds have also received a mixed response. Some customers found the seeds difficult to chew and the taste overly earthy. However, if you appreciate natural, earthy flavors and are looking for a snack rich in plant-based protein and Omega-3 fatty acids, these seeds may be worth trying.
3) Sacha Inchi Puffs
Unfortunately, there aren’t many customer reviews available for the Sacha Inchi Puffs. However, given their unique concept and the nutritional benefits of Sacha Inchi, they promise to be a wholesome, crunchy snack option.
4) Brass Roots Sparkling Water
The Brass Roots Sparkling Water has been praised for its refreshing taste. However, some customers had issues with applying a Shark Tank discount code during purchase. If you’re looking for a refreshing, healthy beverage, this sparkling water may be worth considering, but be prepared for potential difficulties when using discount codes.
- Nutrition: Brass Roots products are high in plant-based protein, Omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber, making them an excellent choice for health-conscious consumers;
- Innovation: The use of Sacha Inchi as a primary ingredient is a novel concept in the health food industry, offering a unique selling point for Brass Roots;
- Variety: The range of products – from nut butters to seeds to puffs – provides consumers with several options ;
- Taste: Some customers have found the taste of Brass Roots products to be lackluster or overly earthy;
- Chewiness: The Roasted Sacha Inchi Seeds were reported to be difficult to chew;
- Discount Code Issues: Some customers reported problems when trying to apply a Shark Tank discount code on the Brass Roots Sparkling Water;
Who May Benefit From Using Brass Roots?
Brass Roots products may appeal to a wide range of consumers, but they are particularly suited to:
- Health-Conscious Consumers: Brass Roots uses the Sacha Inchi seed, a superfood known for its high content of plant-based protein, Omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber. Those who prioritize nutritious food in their diet may find Brass Roots products beneficial;
- Vegans and Vegetarians: All Brass Roots products are vegan-friendly, making them an excellent choice for individuals following a vegan or vegetarian diet;
- Individuals with Food Allergies: Brass Roots products are free from common allergens like peanuts, making them a safe option for those with certain food allergies;
- Fitness Enthusiasts: Given their high protein content, Brass Roots products can be a great snack for fitness enthusiasts looking for plant-based protein sources;
- Adventurous Eaters: For those who enjoy trying new foods, the unique use of Sacha Inchi seeds in Brass Roots products offers an intriguing culinary adventure;
- Sustainable Consumers: Brass Roots focuses on sustainability in its sourcing and production processes, which may appeal to consumers who prioritize environmentally friendly practices;
What Do Users Say About Brass Roots Products?
Users of Brass Roots products generally have positive feedback. They appreciate that the snacks are crunchy, flavorful, and not overly salty. Additionally, customers do not report an aftertaste, which is a common complaint about some plant-based products.
The brand’s Organic Sacha Inchi Seed Butter receives praise for its unique taste and high nutritional value. Reviews on the “abillion” platform further validate this positive sentiment about Brass Roots’ vegan products .
Brass Roots Crunch Puffs, marketed as a “Snack with purpose,” are lauded for being rich in protein and free from top allergens. A comprehensive analysis of 1,398 customer reviews on Amazon affirms Brass Roots as a legitimate and well-received brand.
About Founders Of Brass Roots
Aaron harbored a longstanding ambition to run his own business, driven by an innate passion for entrepreneurship. His encounter with Sacha Inchi seeds occurred after his father experienced a significant heart attack in 2019.
These seeds are renowned for their nutty flavor and their nutritional richness, containing fiber, protein, healthy fats, antioxidants, zinc, calcium, and magnesium. They serve as an excellent nut alternative and a snack with zero carbs, making them a perfect fit for weight loss and keto-friendly diets. Following his father’s health scare, Aaron was determined to discover the ideal healthy snack.
With his accumulated knowledge and expertise, Aaron embarked on the creation of Brass Roots, a range of snacks designed to be keto-friendly and allergen-friendly. The concept was born from his deep connection to the New Orleans community and his desire to address the issue of unhealthy snacks and the lack of effective education regarding access to health-conscious yet delicious snacks. The brand’s primary focus revolves around sustainable and ethical sourcing, deeply rooted in community involvement and charitable programs.
Brass Roots adheres to ethical and sustainable sourcing practices by providing fair wages to the farmers and actively promoting health awareness, embodying the concept of “Snack With A Purpose”.
The Pitch Of Brass Roots At Shark Tank
In a dramatic appearance on Shark Tank, Aaron made a unique pitch alongside his music band, seeking a $ 400,000 investment in exchange for a 7% equity stake in Brass Roots . He passionately introduced the Sacha Inchi Seed and how it serves as a key ingredient in their product.
Kevin wasted no time inquiring about the company’s sales figures. Aaron disclosed that their revenue numbers were as follows: $ 35,000 in 2019, $ 250,000 in 2020, and $ 500,000 in 2021, with an anticipated $ 1.5 million for 2022. However, he admitted that profitability had remained elusive.
Further questioning revealed that Brass Roots was burning through $ 20,000 to $ 30,000 in cash every month, and they currently had $ 100,000 in cash reserves. Their lightly salted snack had production costs of $ 4.50, landed at $ 5, and was sold for $ 17.99.
Daymond pointed out the product’s high cost, and Aaron disclosed that they had secured $ 1.7 million in funding, valuing the company at $ 5 million, with Aaron retaining a 33% ownership stake .
Kevin O’Leary decided to bow out, followed by Mark Cuban, who noted the slim profit margins. Daymond John, while expressing interest in becoming a customer of the brand, also opted to step aside.
Lori Greiner opted out, citing her unfamiliarity with the Sacha Inchi Seed and her inability to recognize it. Daniel Lubetzky, too, chose not to invest, expressing reservations about the business’s investability at that moment.
In the end, Brass Roots left the Shark Tank without securing a deal, despite their innovative product and passionate pitch.
Brass Roots After The Shark Tank
Although Brass Roots didn’t strike a deal on “Shark Tank,” Aaron Gailmor remained committed to his mission of making a difference within his company. The “Shark Tank” episode had a significant impact, leading to a surge in website traffic with nearly 100,000 new visitors and almost 10,000 new orders . Following a reairing of the episode in March, Gailmor’s team decided to introduce variety packs based on viewer preferences.
They took the sharks’ advice to heart, raising prices to improve margins and making cost-cutting changes, which regrettably resulted in staff reductions. Packaging was revamped to be more appealing and informative about the benefits of Sacha Inchi Seeds. Brass Roots also streamlined its product line, focusing on top-performing items, ultimately achieving profitability by the first quarter of 2023.
Gailmor’s efforts were commended, even by guest shark Daniel Lubetzky, founder of KIND Snack Food, who recognized the value of learning from past business experiences. By embracing the sharks’ guidance and making necessary adjustments, Gailmor positioned Brass Roots for success.
The company remains active in public events and community involvement, with donations to schools and youth groups and Aaron Gailmor’s willingness to educate students about nutrition and entrepreneurship.
Their social media platforms reflect their mission, sharing recipes utilizing their products and expanding their reach with features in Forbes, ABC, Women’s Health, VegOut LA, and more. While specific revenue figures remain undisclosed, the company is estimated to have a net worth of $ 5.71 million.
Despite not making a “Shark Tank” deal, Brass Roots deserves recognition for its journey. With newfound profitability, the future looks promising. They are preparing to introduce the Sacha Inchi Bar, a nutritious protein bar made from their signature seeds, and they are listed as “Coming Soon” on their website.
Brass Roots is on the radar, being recognized as one of the “25 Trends to Watch For” by Whole Food Magazine, aligning with the growing emphasis on healthy, socially conscious products. This suggests a bright future for the company.
The Net Worth Of Brass Roots
Brass Roots prioritizes the inclusion of protein, fiber, and omega-3 in its snack offerings. The key ingredient used in their snack production is the Sacha Inchi Seed, renowned for its protein-rich properties.
Consumers can find Brass Roots’ snack brands available at prominent retail outlets such as Sprouts Farmer’s Market, Whole Foods Market, Wegman’s, and Amazon’s online platform.
The brand has garnered notable media attention, featuring in various publications including Forbes, Foodtank, Trendhunter, VegNews, among others.
As per their LinkedIn profile, Brass Roots is headquartered in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States, and sustains a workforce of 2-10 employees.
Alternatives To Brass Roots:
- SunButter: Sunflower seed butter is a popular alternative to peanut butter and offers similar nutritional benefits as Sacha Inchi butter. It’s free from the top 8 allergens and is vegan-friendly;
- 88 Acres: This brand offers a variety of seed butters, including watermelon seed butter, which is a unique alternative to traditional nut butters. Their products are also free from the top 8 allergens;
- WOWBUTTER: A soy-based butter that serves as a direct alternative to peanut butter. It’s free from the top 8 allergens and is safe for those with peanut and tree nut allergies;
- Noosh Brands: Noosh offers Almond Butter which is a good source of protein and is keto-friendly ;
- Who owns Brass Roots?
Brass Roots is owned by Aaron Gailmor, who is also the founder of the company.
- What is a peanut alternative on Shark Tank?
Brass Roots presented their Sacha Inchi Butter as a peanut alternative on Shark Tank. The product is made from Sacha Inchi seeds, which are known for their high protein content and other nutritional benefits.
- What is the most successful product sold from Shark Tank?
The most successful product that has emerged from Shark Tank is the Scrub Daddy, a versatile cleaning sponge. It has generated over $ 200 million in sales since its debut on the show.
- What is the second most successful Shark Tank product?
The second most successful product from Shark Tank is Bombas socks. The company has reportedly made over $ 100 million in sales since its appearance on the show.
- Who is the CEO of Brass Roots?
The CEO of Brass Roots is Aaron Gailmor.
- Where is Brass Roots headquarters?
Brass Roots has its headquarters in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Is Brass Roots keto-friendly?
Yes, Brass Roots products are keto-friendly. The brand’s mission includes providing a range of keto-friendly, plant-based snacks.
- What are Sacha Inchi Seeds, and why are they a key ingredient in Brass Roots products?
Sacha Inchi Seeds are nutrient-dense seeds known for their rich protein content, omega-3 fatty acids, and numerous health benefits. Brass Roots uses these seeds as a primary ingredient in our snacks to provide you with a nutritious and delicious option.
- Where can I purchase Brass Roots products?
You can find Brass Roots snacks on the official website, as well as through popular online platforms like Amazon. Additionally, these products are available at select retailers, including Sprouts, Whole Foods Market, Wegman’s, and more.
- Do Brass Roots products cater to specific dietary preferences or restrictions?
Yes, these products are designed to be keto-friendly and allergen-friendly. They are suitable for individuals following a keto diet and those with various dietary restrictions.
- What flavors and varieties of Brass Roots snacks are available?
They offer a range of flavors and varieties, including our classic lightly salted and honey mustard Roasted Sacha Inchi Seeds. We’ve also introduced new flavors like sweet heat and dark chocolate. Additionally, we offer a “Shark Tank” variety pack for those looking to sample a variety of our products.
- Are Brass Roots products suitable for weight loss and fitness goals?
Absolutely. These snacks are a great option for those aiming to achieve their weight loss and fitness objectives. They are low in carbs and packed with protein, making them an ideal choice for a healthy, satisfying snack.
- What is the pricing of Brass Roots products?
These products are competitively priced, with individual bags of Roasted Sacha Inchi Seeds typically retailing at $ 19.99. The “Shark Tank” variety pack is available for $ 26.99, providing a cost-effective way to try multiple flavors.
- Are there any ongoing promotions or discounts available?
They occasionally run special promotions and discounts on our website and through selected retail partners. Keep an eye on their website and social media channels for updates on any ongoing offers.
- Can I find Brass Roots products outside of the United States?
While our primary market is in the United States, we are continually exploring opportunities to expand internationally.
- What distinguishes Brass Roots from other snack brands?
Brass Roots stands out for its commitment to natural, health-conscious, and sustainably sourced products. They prioritize using quality ingredients like Sacha Inchi Seeds and focus on offering snacks that cater to a variety of dietary preferences and restrictions.
- Is Brass Roots involved in any community or charitable initiatives?
Yes, community involvement is at the heart of our mission. They actively engage in outreach programs and have offered donations to schools and youth groups. The founder, Aaron Gailmor, is also open to presenting information about nutrition and entrepreneurship to students.
Useful Video: Brass Roots Founder Video