In the world of entrepreneurial reality shows, “Shark Tank” stands as a beacon of opportunity for budding businesses. One such venture is Nopalera, a brand that celebrates and embraces the Mexican heritage through its unique range of cactus-based body care products. This article delves into the journey of Nopalera post their appearance on Shark Tank.
It explores how the business maneuvered the highs and lows, capitalized on the exposure, and utilized the investment (if any) to propel its growth. Join us as we unravel the aftermath and the impact that the “Shark Tank” experience had on the trajectory of Nopalera.
What Is Nopalera?
Nopalera is a unique brand that was featured on Shark Tank, famous for its line of plant-based skincare products inspired by the Mexican heritage of its founder, Sandra Velasquez .
“Nopalera was established with the mission to uplift and honor Latin culture,” as declared on the brand’s official website. The products offered by this skincare brand draw inspiration from the beauty and cultural richness of Mexico. Embracing the ancient symbol of Mexican heritage, the nopal cactus, Nopalera harnesses the potential of one of the world’s most sustainable, nourishing, and versatile plants.
The nopal cactus not only provides vital hydration for both the skin and hair but can also be consumed as food and even used in textile production. In recognition of the plant’s multifaceted goodness, the founder, Velasquez, conceived the idea of celebrating beauty with Nopalera products.
Nopalera’s exfoliants and botanical bars proudly adhere to a vegan, cruelty-free, and palm oil-free ethos, free from any artificial fragrances or dyes. These products are suitable for daily use, providing deep cleansing and nourishment for the body without the worry of allergies or irritation.
Nopalera’s easy-to-handle soaps are crafted with a high concentration of plant-based butters and nourishing oils, making them suitable even for sensitive skin. The inclusion of real lemongrass oil infuses a refreshing scent to invigorate the senses.
The Flor de Mayo cactus soaps feature authentic jasmine oil, offering a delicate fragrance and an exceptionally creamy lather. Meanwhile, the Noche Clara Cactus variety, with its subtle eucalyptus aroma, incorporates activated charcoal for gentle exfoliation and antimicrobial benefits, safeguarding the skin’s natural moisture. Nopalera products are expertly designed to buff the skin with humectants, enhance skin elasticity, and promote cell turnover.
In addition, Nopalera’s moisturizing botanical bars are deeply hydrating and enriched with essential vitamins such as Vitamin E and K, leaving the skin thoroughly nourished and revitalized.
The Product Line
Nopalera prides itself on its sustainable and comprehensive use of the prickly pear cactus, where every part of the plant serves a purpose in crafting its exquisite products. This dedication to utilizing all facets of the cactus showcases their commitment to sustainable practices .
Here’s a breakdown of their product range and the natural ingredients they incorporate:
1) Cactus Soaps
These soaps, thoughtfully shaped like cactus pads, harness the green part of the cactus for a soothing and gentle exfoliation:
- Desnuda Cactus Soap: Unscented and perfect for sensitive skin;
- Planta Futura Cactus Soap: Enriched with real lemongrass oil for a refreshing scent;
- Flor de Mayo Cactus Soap: Contains real jasmine oil for a delicate fragrance and pink clay, resulting in an extra-creamy lather;
- Noche Clara Cactus Soap: Infused with the subtle scents of eucalyptus and sage oil. It’s an excellent choice for oily or acne-prone skin, as activated charcoal gently exfoliates and purifies the skin;
2) Cactus Flower Exfoliants
These multifunctional exfoliants serve as exfoliators, cleansers, and moisturizers.
They utilize the nopal cactus for its skin-nourishing properties, including cactus fibers, plant-based butters, essential oils, and humectants:
- Hibiscus Exfoliant: Naturally scented with grapefruit and jasmine essential oils, this exfoliant is rich in antioxidants, Vitamin C, and AHA’s, promoting healthy, glowing skin;
- Mandarina Exfoliant: Infused with an uplifting tangerine scent and hydrating safflower oil, it provides soothing benefits to the skin;
3) Moisturizing Botanical Bars:
These solid bars are formulated with plant butters, oils, and Mexican botanicals, including nopal oil from cactus seeds, which contains Vitamin E, K, and omega fatty acids.
Tepezcohuite, known for its astringent and purifying properties, is incorporated to promote skin cell turnover:
- The Original Botanical Bar: Features a subtle tangerine scent;
- Flora de Mayo Botanical Bar: Infused with the delightful fragrance of jasmine;
These products not only celebrate the beauty and richness of Mexico but also represent a harmonious blend of nature’s finest ingredients.
- Natural Ingredients: Nopalera uses natural ingredients, notably the Nopal Cactus (also known as Prickly Pear), which is known for its health benefits. The use of such ingredients makes their products suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin;
- Cruelty-Free: All products are vegan and cruelty-free, showing the company’s commitment to ethical skincare;
- Cultural Inspiration: The brand draws inspiration from Mexican culture, blending traditional practices with modern skincare needs. This gives it a unique position in the market;
- Sustainability: Nopalera is dedicated to sustainability. Their packaging is plastic-free, and their ingredients are sustainably sourced;
- Price Point: While the quality of their products is generally praised, some customers might find the price point slightly high compared to other skincare brands;
- Limited Range: As a relatively new brand, Nopalera’s product range is limited. While they offer soaps, body oils, and scrubs, customers looking for specific products like serums or eye creams may not find them in their lineup;
- Accessibility: Currently, Nopalera products are available mainly online, which might be inconvenient for those who prefer shopping in physical stores;
Who May Benefit From Using Nopalera Products?
Nopalera products may benefit a wide range of individuals, thanks to their natural and plant-based ingredients.
Here are some groups who may find these products particularly beneficial:
- Skincare Enthusiasts: Those who prioritize skincare and are always on the lookout for effective, high-quality products may appreciate Nopalera’s range;
- Individuals with Sensitive Skin: As Nopalera uses natural ingredients, their products are often suitable for those with sensitive skin;
- Vegans and Cruelty-Free Advocates: All of Nopalera’s products are vegan and cruelty-free, making them an excellent choice for individuals who prefer their skincare products to align with these values;
- Eco-Conscious Consumers: Nopalera is committed to sustainability, with plastic-free packaging and sustainably sourced ingredients. This makes their products appealing to those who are conscious about the environmental impact of their purchases;
- Lovers of Unique, Cultural Products: Given that Nopalera draws inspiration from Mexican culture and uses traditional ingredients like the Nopal Cactus, individuals who enjoy trying unique, culturally-inspired products may be drawn to this brand;
- Individuals with Dry Skin: Many reviews suggest that Nopalera products are highly moisturizing, which could benefit those struggling with dry skin;
Remember, skincare is personal, and what works well for one person may not work as well for another. It’s always a good idea to patch-test new products and consult with a dermatologist if you have specific skin concerns.
About the Founders Of Nopalera
In her own words, she declares, “I founded Nopalera to celebrate my culture. Loud and proud. No apologies”.
Nopales, the edible pads of the nopal cactus, held a significant place in Velasquez’s upbringing. Her family cultivated these cacti in their backyard, frequently harvesting them for culinary purposes. As time passed, she delved deeper into the manifold benefits of nopales and incorporated them into her artisanal bath and body products, giving birth to Nopalera.
Prior to Nopalera, Sandra Velasquez had a substantial career in the sales industry. Her LinkedIn profile reflects her journey, beginning as a sales staff member at Mast Brothers Chocolate. She later transitioned to HiBAR, where she served as an area sales manager. Her time at HiBAR equipped her with invaluable experience in the sales field.
Subsequently, she joined the team at Van Leeuwen Artisan Ice Cream. In the course of her career, she also collaborated with various beauty brands, accumulating knowledge and expertise in the beauty industry.
Sandra’s entrepreneurial spirit extended beyond her career as she sought additional sources of income. Her exploration led her to the world of soap making, where she discovered her passion for crafting bath and body products. The concept of launching Nopalera crystallized during a visit to her family in California. Her mother’s warm greeting, which included her favorite dish of eggs and nopal pads, became the catalyst for merging the benefits of nopal with her creative soap-making endeavors.
In 2019, Sandra Velasquez embarked on her entrepreneurial journey with Nopalera, launching the brand in November 2020. With its innovative and distinctive products, Nopalera is rapidly gaining recognition in the beauty industry.
The Pitch Of Nopalera At Shark Tank
Sandra Velasquez made a bold and impactful appearance in Season 14 of “Shark Tank,” where she passionately articulated her mission with Nopalera. Her purpose was crystal clear: to celebrate and elevate Latino culture, reshape perceptions about Latino products , and inspire the community to recognize their worth. She boldly challenged the sharks, asking, “Who is ready to help me build the next Latina legacy brand?”
Sandra’s impressive sales figures backed up her pitch. In the first year of Nopalera’s existence, the brand achieved $ 19,000 in sales, and that number substantially surged to $ 607,000 in 2021. This growth was attributed to a network of wholesale accounts and partnerships with independent boutiques.
Entering the Shark Tank seeking $ 300,000 for 5% equity in her company, Sandra’s valuation was met with skepticism by the sharks. Kevin O’Leary proposed a counteroffer of $ 300,000 for 30% equity, and guest shark Daniel Lubetsky presented an alternative of $ 300,000 for 25%.
However, Sandra remained steadfast and unwavering in her negotiation. Her sole counteroffer was $ 600,000 for 10%, the same deal she had initially requested. This resolute stance surprised and confounded the sharks, who are accustomed to negotiations on the show. Mark Cuban and Daymond John, in particular, were taken aback by her refusal to compromise. The absence of any negotiation or flexibility in her offer was a rarity on “Shark Tank”.
Ultimately, Sandra Velasquez left the Shark Tank without a deal, but she left with her head held high, proud of her unwavering commitment to her brand’s worth and mission. The slogan “stand in your worth” became an unofficial motto for her company, symbolizing her determination and self-confidence.
Following her appearance on “Shark Tank,” Sandra transformed this experience into a marketing opportunity. A few months after the episode aired in January 2023, Nopalera released sweatshirts featuring the phrase “My ancestors said ‘stand in your worth”. Additionally, the company introduced a “Stand In Your Worth Shark Tank Bundle”, featuring their signature cactus-shaped soaps, moisturizing bars, and exfoliants.
The sharks, rather than harboring bitterness, expressed support and admiration for Sandra’s message. Lori Greiner commended her tenacity, emphasizing that “for her, it was all about self-worth, and she stuck to it”. Daniel Lubetsky even encouraged his Twitter followers to support the company by purchasing the “Shark Tank” bundle, exemplifying the graciousness of the sharks in response to Sandra’s unwavering commitment to her vision.
Nopalera After The Shark Tank
Sandra embarked on her journey to create a line of high-end cactus-based bath and skincare products amidst the challenging backdrop of the pandemic. She was driven by her frustration with the seemingly exclusive world of luxury products dominated by French and American brands with hefty price tags. Her aspiration was to redefine the Latin-American narrative and establish a luxury brand that catered to a community supporting her mission.
Despite the brand’s launch coinciding with a global lockdown, Sandra received an outpouring of love and appreciation from her customers. From those early days, the company has been on a consistent trajectory of growth.
Remarkably, within just two years of entering the market, Nopalera turned a significant profit. Initially, Sandra was her own investor, building her business from the ground up with the goal of having her products featured at prestigious retailers like Barneys and Nordstrom. She commenced her product sales directly through Instagram and Facebook, using a direct-to-customer approach.
Shopify Capital provided a financial boost, investing $ 50,000 in her business in exchange for a 10% share of daily sales.
Over time, Nopalera expanded its presence, landing on the shelves of over 350 independent retailers nationwide, including prominent names like Nordstrom, Credo Beauty, and Free People. The brand generated approximately $ 100,000 in sales during its first year, a figure that quadrupled in the following years.
Since its inception, Sandra has earned various accolades, including:
- The New C-Suite;
- Recognition by Cosmopolitan in collaboration with digitalundivided;
- Latino Start-Up Of The Year at Match-Up 2022;
- Finalist at the Black Ambition Prize;
- Winner of Clean Beauty Summer School;
- Winner of Valde Latinx Entrepreneur Grant;
- Participation in Target Takeoff Beauty Cohort;
- Credo Beauty’s Credo For Change Cohort;
- True Beauty Ventures Bridge Mentorship Program;
This Latina-owned brand has also secured features in respected publications such as Cosmopolitan and Women’s Health. Interested individuals can access their products through the official website or on Amazon. Sandra is excited to continue innovating, with plans to develop and introduce new products in the near future. Nopalera’s journey to success is a testament to Sandra’s vision and determination, and it’s poised for further accomplishments in the years ahead.
The Net Worth Of Nopalera
Nopalera offers a diverse array of skincare products, making it accessible to a wide range of customers.
Their product pricing is as follows:
- Soaps: $ 14 each;
- Exfoliants: $ 32 each (available in two flavors: hibiscus and Mandarina);
- Botanical Bars: $ 30 each;
- Soap and Bar Duo: Normally $ 44, but currently available at a discounted price of $ 40;
- Soap Trio: Priced at $ 39 after a $ 4 discount;
- Bath Set: $ 71;
- Shark Tank Bundle: Priced at $ 130;
- Tote Bags: Yellow tote bags featuring the brand’s logo, priced at $ 30;
- Nopalera Goddess T-shirt: $ 30;
- Gift Card: Available for purchase at $ 25;
Since its inception, Nopalera has been on an upward trajectory, with substantial growth.
The brand’s revenue has been consistently increasing year by year, and it experienced a significant milestone in 2022, doubling its turnover compared to the previous year. The brand’s 2022 revenue reached an impressive $ 1 million, and projections suggest that it is poised to hit $ 5 million within the next year.
Sandra Velasquez’s entrepreneurial journey is a testament to her determination and resourcefulness. As she herself points out, she embarked on this endeavor with significant personal debt, including $ 80,000 in student loans and $ 30,000 in personal debt. Her success story underscores the remarkable achievements possible when passion, hard work, and dedication drive an entrepreneurial spirit, transforming financial challenges into a thriving business.
Alternatives To Nopalera:
- Herbivore Botanicals: Herbivore Botanicals is renowned for its all-natural and vegan skincare products. They offer a variety of products enriched with cactus extract, including the prickly pear cactus, known for its hydrating and antioxidant properties;
- Kiehl’s: Kiehl’s features cactus extract in some of its products to provide hydration and maintain skin’s moisture balance. Their formulations often blend this desert plant with other beneficial ingredients;
- Sunday Riley: This brand is celebrated for its innovative skincare solutions. Some of their products contain cactus extracts, contributing to skin hydration and protection against environmental stressors;
- Drunk Elephant: Drunk Elephant’s commitment to using clean and natural ingredients extends to their use of cactus extracts, offering products that aim to rejuvenate and nourish the skin;
- Biossance: Biossance is recognized for its sustainable and eco-friendly approach to skincare. They incorporate cactus oil into some of their products, which helps in moisturizing the skin without a greasy feel;
- Pai Skincare: Pai Skincare is known for its organic and sensitive skin-friendly products. They use prickly pear extract and other botanicals to provide gentle yet effective skincare solutions;
- Mario Badescu: While primarily famous for its skincare sprays and acne treatments, Mario Badescu incorporates cactus water into some of its formulations to offer refreshing and hydrating benefits;
- Josie Maran: Josie Maran’s cosmetics and skincare often feature argan oil, a nutrient-rich ingredient, and occasionally, cactus water, for added nourishment and hydration;
- Youth to the People: This brand is dedicated to clean and environmentally responsible skincare. They occasionally include cactus extract in their formulations, promoting skin hydration and revitalization;
- Indie Lee: Indie Lee is known for its clean beauty products. They may use cactus water and other natural ingredients in their formulations for a more holistic approach to skincare;
These brands have recognized the power of ingredients like the prickly pear cactus and other botanicals, infusing their products with the natural benefits these components offer. Depending on your skincare needs and preferences, you can explore these brands to find products that align with your specific goals and values.
- What does cactus in Nopalera products do for your skin?
The cactus used in Nopalera products, particularly the Nopal (prickly pear) cactus, provides several benefits for the skin. It is rich in Vitamins E and K and has anti-inflammatory properties that can restore skin barrier function. Cactus fibers gently purify and exfoliate the skin, while the prickly pear oil in the products provides nourishment.
Betalains, phytonutrients found in cacti, are high in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory effects, helping to boost the skin’s natural luminosity.
The nopal (prickly pear) cactus offers several benefits for your skin:
- Antioxidant Protection: Nopal cactus contains antioxidants and phytonutrients that play a crucial role in preventing cell damage. These antioxidants help in fighting free radicals, which are unstable molecules that can lead to premature skin aging and other skin issues;
- Vitamins A, C, and E: Nopalera cactus is rich in essential vitamins such as A, C, and E. Vitamin A promotes skin renewal and can contribute to a smoother and more youthful complexion. Vitamin C is known for its ability to brighten the skin and support collagen production, which helps maintain skin elasticity. Vitamin E is a potent moisturizer that keeps the skin hydrated and healthy;
- Healthy Glowing Skin: The combination of these vitamins, along with other nutrients found in the nopal cactus, can lead to healthy, glowing skin. By nourishing the skin with these vital components, it can look and feel rejuvenated;
- Vitamin K: Vitamin K, another nutrient present in nopal, is known for its ability to even out skin tone. It can help reduce the appearance of dark spots, redness, and discoloration. Additionally, vitamin K contributes to the protection of collagen, which is essential for maintaining the skin’s firmness and resilience;
- What kind of scents do they use?
Some Nopalera products have a subtle scent, but specifics about the types of scents used were not mentioned.
- Are Nopalera products vegan?
Yes, Nopalera products are vegan.
- Where are Nopalera products made?
All of Nopalera merchandise is crafted on the eastern seaboard within the United States, specifically at the Nopalera location.
- What are the ingredients in Nopalera soap?
Nopalera soaps contain native Mexican prickly pear cactus and rich plant butters that deliver healing nourishment to the skin. They also contain cactus fibers that gently purify and exfoliate the skin. One of the soaps mentioned, the Flor de Mayo Cactus Soap, also contains pink rose clay.
- How do you use Nopalera?
Specific usage instructions can vary depending on the product. For instance, their Cactus Flower Exfoliants are a three-in-one oil cleanser, exfoliant, and moisturizer that can be used regularly for glowing skin.
Useful Video: The Sharks Find No Wiggle Room in This Negotiation