Robert Herjavec, best known for his role as an investor on the hit television show “Shark Tank”, has become a household name in the world of entrepreneurship. With his charismatic personality and sharp business acumen, he’s brought numerous start-ups to the limelight. This article delves into the details of his life, particularly focusing on his age, which often sparks curiosity among fans and viewers alike. As we unpack the story of this influential figure, we’ll explore his early years, his rise to fame, and how his age has shaped his journey in the business world.
Robert Herjavec’s Life And Career:
Early Life And Education
In Herjavec’s own words, “He indulged a bit too much in alcohol and would openly criticize Communism, leading to him being thrown into jail 22 times for his anti-Communist stance”. With just a single suitcase and a mere $ 20, Herjavec’s family landed in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Eventually, they found a temporary home in Toronto, where they resided in the basement of a family friend for 18 months. This transition proved to be a formidable challenge for Herjavec, who was unfamiliar with the English language. Having grown up on a farm under the care of his grandmother, surrounded by neighbors living similar lifestyles, he found himself situated in a considerably lower economic class compared to his new neighbors.
Herjavec’s father secured employment at a Mississauga factory, earning a weekly wage of $ 76. Herjavec admires his father, describing him as “a truly resilient and unyielding man”, and as a profound influence in his life. Herjavec often recounts a pivotal moment from his childhood when he returned home to complain to his mother about his peers mocking him.
His father, who used to walk to work in order to save money on bus fare, arrived home and, upon hearing his son’s grievances, instructed him never to complain. This became a guiding principle in Herjavec’s life, igniting his sense of bravery.
Another influential incident from his youth occurred when a traveling salesman persuaded Herjavec’s mother to purchase a vacuum cleaner for $ 500, equivalent to seven weeks’ worth of salary. This experience led Herjavec to vow that his family would never fall victim to such schemes again.
During the mid-1980s, Herjavec immersed himself in the world of entertainment, assuming the role of a third assistant director in several productions, including “Cain and Abel” and “The Return of Billy Jack”. Additionally, he took on the role of a field producer for Global TV during the 1984 Winter Olympics held in Sarajevo .
In his pursuit of opportunities between film projects, Herjavec decided to apply for a position at Logiquest, where he intended to sell IBM mainframe emulation boards. While he lacked the qualifications for the job, his determination led him to negotiate with the company, offering to work without pay for a duration of six months. To support himself financially during this “unpaDragons’ Den” from seasons 1 to 6 and later in the United States on ABC’s iteration of the series, “Shark Tank.” This show featured aspiring entrepreneurs presenting their business proposals to a panel of potential investors.
One of Herjavec’s most notable investments from the show was $ 100,000 for a 10% stake in the sweater company Tipsy Elves . He also invested in an herbal sparkling water company known as Aura Bora.
Herjavec’s contributions were not confined to the business and television realms alone. He earned three Gemini Awards as part of “Dragon’s Den” for Outstanding Reality Show in Canada . Furthermore, he had the honor of presenting awards at the 2013 Creative Arts Emmy Awards and the 2013 Mr. Olympia contest.
On February 24, 2015, Herjavec stepped into a different spotlight, as he was unveiled as one of the contestants for season 20 of the American edition of “Dancing with the Stars”. His dance partner was the Australian dancer Kym Johnson, with whom he eventually developed a romantic relationship and later married. Their journey on the show culminated on May 5, 2015, when they were eliminated during a double-elimination round and finished in 6th place.
Robert Herjavec’s Age and Birthday
His father endured a 22-year ordeal of imprisonment for speaking out against the regime, which led the family to relocate to Toronto with a mere $ 20 to their name.
Upon their arrival in Toronto, Robert’s family found refuge in the home of a family friend. His father secured a job that paid $ 76 per week.
Robert Herjavec pursued his education at the University of Toronto, where he earned a degree in political science and English literature.
Robert Herjavec’s Height & Weight
Robert Herjavec stands at a height of 5 feet 9 inches (1.78 meters) and maintains a weight of 65 kg or 143 lbs. He possesses brown hair and striking blue eyes .
Robert Herjavec’s Wife & Kids
The Shark Tank’s Journey Of Robert Herjavec
Herjavec’s first steps into entrepreneurship were modest. He began by delivering newspapers and waiting tables. However, his real break came when he took a job in the film industry as a field producer for the Winter Olympics in Sarajevo in 1984. This position sparked his interest in technology and led him to launch his first business, BRAK Systems, a Canadian integrator of Internet security software, in 1990.
After selling BRAK Systems, Herjavec took a three-year hiatus from business. However, in 2003, he returned to the tech industry with the launch of The Herjavec Group, a cybersecurity firm. Today, the company is one of the fastest-growing technology firms globally, providing comprehensive security services to Fortune 500 companies.
Herjavec’s success attracted the attention of television producers, and in 2009 he was invited to join the cast of Shark Tank. As a shark, Herjavec has invested in numerous startups and has become known for his compassionate approach and focus on businesses that solve real-world problems.
Herjavec’s journey from immigrant to a successful entrepreneur is awe-inspiring. It shows that with hard work, determination, and an entrepreneurial spirit, anyone can achieve their dreams, no matter how humble their beginnings.
His story also serves as a reminder that success does not come overnight. It takes time, and effort, and often involves overcoming significant challenges. But as Herjavec’s journey demonstrates, the rewards can be worth the struggle.
Robert Herjavec’s Success Stories:
1) BRAK Systems: A Triumph of Entrepreneurship
Robert Herjavec’s entrepreneurial journey took flight with the establishment of BRAK Systems, a Canadian integrator of internet security software. The inception of BRAK Systems in 1990 marked a pivotal moment in Herjavec’s career.
He initiated this venture from the confines of his home’s basement, equipped with an unwavering commitment to success:
- Overcoming Adversity: Herjavec’s path to success was not without its challenges. Before the inception of BRAK Systems, he had faced professional setbacks and was even let go from his position at Logiquest. However, he channeled his resilience and determination to create a company that would soon make waves in the world of Internet security;
- Strategic Vision: BRAK Systems thrived under Herjavec’s strategic leadership. The company offered innovative internet security solutions, riding the wave of the burgeoning tech industry. It provided services that were crucial in safeguarding digital assets at a time when the Internet was becoming an integral part of business operations;
- AT&T Acquisition: The crowning achievement for BRAK Systems came in March 2000 when the company was acquired by AT&T Canada (now Allstream Inc.) for a staggering $ 30.2 million. Herjavec’s visionary approach and dedication transformed a basement startup into a lucrative enterprise;
2) The Herjavec Group and Cyderes: A Leap into Cybersecurity
Following the success of BRAK Systems, Robert Herjavec continued to venture into the realm of cybersecurity. He founded The Herjavec Group, a company that would become Canada’s largest information technology security provider.
This venture marked a significant evolution in Herjavec’s career:
- Security Solutions Pioneer: The Herjavec Group, founded in 2003, positioned itself as a leader in the cybersecurity sector. It offered a comprehensive range of security solutions, integration services, and managed service provider offerings, catering to the evolving needs of the digital age;
- Rapid Growth: Herjavec’s vision and leadership were instrumental in propelling The Herjavec Group to unprecedented growth. In just a few years, the company transformed from a modest startup with three employees and $ 400,000 in sales to a powerhouse with an annual revenue of $ 200 million;
- Cyderes Acquisition: Building on the foundation of The Herjavec Group’s success, Robert Herjavec expanded his cybersecurity empire with the acquisition of Cyderes. This move further solidified his presence in the rapidly evolving cybersecurity landscape;
3) Author of Three Books: Sharing Knowledge and Wisdom
Beyond his entrepreneurial endeavors, Robert Herjavec is an accomplished author, with three books to his name.
These books offer insights into his experiences, principles, and the wisdom he has gained along his remarkable journey:
- “Driven: How to Succeed in Business and in Life” (2010): In his debut book, Herjavec imparts valuable lessons and strategies for achieving success in both business and life. Drawing from his own experiences, he offers guidance on entrepreneurship, determination, and resilience;
- “The Will to Win: Leading, Competing, Succeeding” (2013): Herjavec’s second book delves deeper into the mindset and qualities that have fueled his success. He discusses the importance of determination, a competitive spirit, and leadership in achieving one’s goals;
- “You Don’t Have to Be a Shark: Creating Your Own Success” (2016): In this book, Herjavec provides actionable advice for aspiring entrepreneurs and individuals seeking to carve their own path to success. He emphasizes the significance of innovation, adaptability, and seizing opportunities;
4) Shark Tank, Dragons’ Den, and Other TV Appearances
Robert Herjavec’s dynamic presence extends beyond the boardroom. He has made a significant impact on television, appearing on shows that highlight his expertise, business acumen, and knack for identifying promising ventures:
- Dragons’ Den: Herjavec became a household name in Canada through his role as a Dragon on CBC Television’s “Dragons’ Den”. As a regular from seasons 1 to 6, he evaluated business pitches from aspiring entrepreneurs and offered investment opportunities;
- Shark Tank: Herjavec’s influence transcended borders when he joined the American version of the show, “Shark Tank”. On this platform, he was part of a panel of potential investors assessing business proposals. His strategic investments and insightful guidance have made him a pivotal figure on the show;
- Investment Success: One of Herjavec’s most successful investments from his appearances on “Shark Tank” was a $ 100,000 investment for a 10% stake in the sweater company Tipsy Elves. This investment has proven to be not only financially lucrative but also a testament to his keen business instincts;
- Aura Bora: Herjavec’s foray into television also extended to endorsements. He invested in an herbal sparkling water company named Aura Bora, further diversifying his investment portfolio;
Robert Herjavec’s Advice For Entrepreneurs:
Passion Is Crucial For Business Success
One of the cornerstone pieces of advice that Robert Herjavec offers to aspiring entrepreneurs is the paramount importance of passion.
In his own remarkable journey from humble beginnings to becoming a prominent figure in the business world, Herjavec knows the significance of being truly passionate about your endeavors:
- Driving Force: Passion serves as the driving force behind your business. When you are deeply passionate about what you do, it propels you to overcome obstacles, work tirelessly, and maintain unwavering commitment. For Herjavec, passion was the fuel that powered his entrepreneurial spirit;
- Inspiration and Resilience: Passion not only inspires you but also those around you. It’s contagious and can help you build a dedicated team that shares your vision. Furthermore, when you encounter setbacks and challenges, your passion provides the resilience needed to push through and persevere;
- Alignment with Values: Herjavec emphasizes that your business should align with your personal values and passions. When your work resonates with your core beliefs, it brings a sense of fulfillment and purpose, making the journey all the more rewarding;
Get Comfortable With Failure To Succeed As An Entrepreneur
In the world of entrepreneurship, failure is not a matter of “if” but “when”. Robert Herjavec recognizes that setbacks and failures are an inherent part of the entrepreneurial journey.
Rather than fearing failure, he advises entrepreneurs to embrace it as a stepping stone to success:
- Learning Opportunity: Herjavec views failure as an invaluable learning opportunity. Each setback provides insights that can be used to refine your business strategies and make better decisions in the future;
- Resilience and Tenacity: The ability to bounce back from failure is a trait that sets successful entrepreneurs apart. Herjavec encourages entrepreneurs to develop resilience and tenacity, to persevere through adversity and setbacks;
- Risk-Taking: Entrepreneurship inherently involves taking risks, and not all risks will lead to success. Accepting failure as a possibility allows entrepreneurs to take calculated risks with the potential for significant rewards;
Knowledge In Your Field Can Bolster Entrepreneurial Success
Robert Herjavec underscores the importance of having a deep understanding of the field in which you operate as an entrepreneur.
Knowledge is a formidable asset that can significantly bolster your chances of success:
- Informed Decision-Making: In-depth knowledge of your industry, market, and competitors equips you to make well-informed decisions. It enables you to identify trends, seize opportunities, and navigate challenges with confidence;
- Problem-Solving: Knowledge of your field provides you with the tools to address problems and challenges effectively. You can devise creative solutions and adapt to changing circumstances;
- Credibility and Confidence: Demonstrating expertise in your field enhances your credibility with clients, partners, and investors. It instills confidence in your ability to deliver on your promises;
- Continuous Learning: Herjavec advocates for ongoing learning and staying updated with the latest developments in your industry. As markets evolve, staying ahead of the curve ensures that your business remains relevant and competitive;
- How does Robert Herjavec’s net worth reach $ 220 million in 2023?
Additionally, Herjavec has made shrewd investments in various companies, some of which he identified through his appearances on TV shows like “Shark Tank”. These investments, coupled with royalties from his books, speaking engagements, and other business ventures, have contributed to his substantial net worth.
- How else does Robert Herjavec make money?
Apart from his entrepreneurial ventures and investments, Robert Herjavec generates income through multiple avenues. He earns royalties from his books, “Driven”, “The Will to Win”, and “You Don’t Have to Be a Shark”.
Herjavec is a sought-after speaker, participating in speaking engagements and events. His television appearances, including “Shark Tank” and “Dragons’ Den”, bring in additional income. He also makes money from endorsements and appearances on other TV shows and events.
- Is Robert Herjavec married?
Yes, Robert Herjavec is married. He tied the knot with Kym Johnson, a professional dancer and fellow “Dancing with the Stars” competitor, in 2016.
- Does Robert Herjavec have kids?
Yes, Robert Herjavec and Kym Johnson welcomed twins, a boy named Hudson and a girl named Haven, in 2018.
- Are Kym and Robert still together?
As of 2023, Robert Herjavec and Kym Johnson were married and raising their twins together. To find the most up-to-date information on their relationship status, I would recommend checking the latest news sources or their official social media profiles.
- Why is Robert Shark Tank rich?
Robert Herjavec’s wealth from “Shark Tank” comes from his successful investments in various business pitches made on the show. As one of the Sharks, he evaluates the proposals of aspiring entrepreneurs and offers to invest in their companies in exchange for equity. His keen business acumen, coupled with his ability to identify promising opportunities, has allowed him to make lucrative deals on the show.
- Did Robert and Kym have twins?
Yes, Robert Herjavec and Kym Johnson welcomed twins, a son, and a daughter, named Hudson and Haven, in 2018.
- Has anyone ever gotten all 5 “sharks”?
While there have been instances where entrepreneurs on “Shark Tank” have received offers from all five Sharks, it’s relatively rare. However, it’s important to note that even if all the Sharks express interest, the entrepreneurs still have to choose which Sharks to partner with, and not all Sharks may end up making a deal.
- Why is it called Shark Tank?
The show is named “Shark Tank” because the term “shark” is often used in business to refer to experienced and successful investors. In the context of the show, the “sharks” are the potential investors evaluating and making deals with entrepreneurs seeking funding for their businesses.
- Who was the poorest “shark” on Shark Tank?
As of 2023, Kevin O’Leary, also known as “Mr. Wonderful”, was often considered the wealthiest Shark on “Shark Tank”. The net worth of the Sharks can change over time due to their various investments and business ventures, so it’s a good idea to check the latest information for the most up-to-date details.
- Where is Shark Tank filmed?
“Shark Tank” is filmed on set at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California. The iconic set includes the Sharks’ chairs, the entrepreneurs’ pitching area, and the studio audience.
- How many deals has Robert made on Shark Tank?
As of 2023, his involvement in 57 deals across 126 episodes of the show demonstrates his active participation and investment in a diverse range of businesses. Additionally, the fact that 17 of these deals involved non-standard terms such as royalties, contingencies, and lines of credit showcases his flexibility and willingness to explore alternative investment structures beyond the traditional equity-for-cash arrangements.
This ability to adapt to various business models further highlights his entrepreneurial acumen and willingness to support innovative ideas.
Useful Video: Meet Robert Herjavec | Shark Tank US