With the ever-increasing popularity of Shark Tank, a reality show where entrepreneurs pitch their business ideas to industry titans, products like Coffee Joulies have gained substantial attention. This innovative product, designed to regulate the temperature of your coffee, has sparked curiosity and debate among coffee lovers. Here’s an in-depth review of Coffee Joulies, exploring its pros and cons.
What Is Coffee Joulies:
Coffee Joulies are designed to regulate the temperature of hot beverages. The premise is simple yet ingenious – drop these metal beans into your coffee, and they promise to cool it down to a drinkable temperature and keep it there for an extended period.
- Temperature Regulation: The primary selling point of Coffee Joulies is their ability to regulate the temperature of hot beverages. The beans absorb excess heat from your coffee, cooling it down to an optimal drinking temperature and then releasing the stored heat to maintain the ideal warmth. This feature is especially appreciated by those who have experienced the frustration of burning their tongues on scalding hot coffee;
- Reusable and Durable: Crafted from food-grade stainless steel, Coffee Joulies are reusable and built to last. The durable material ensures that the beans can withstand the rigors of daily use without deteriorating or affecting the taste of the coffee. This longevity makes them an eco-friendly alternative to disposable coffee accessories;
- Easy to Use: Using Coffee Joulies is a breeze. Simply drop the beans into your hot beverage, stir if desired, and let them work their magic. The simplicity of the design enhances the overall user experience, making it accessible to coffee enthusiasts of all levels of expertise;
- Portable: Coffee Joulies are compact and easy to carry, making them a convenient addition to your coffee kit. Whether you’re a frequent traveler or enjoy your coffee on the go, these beans can accompany you wherever your caffeine cravings take you;
- Customizable Design: The creators of Coffee Joulies offer customization options, allowing customers to choose from different colors and finishes. This personalization adds a touch of style to the product, appealing to consumers who appreciate aesthetics along with functionality ;
- Limited Temperature Range: While Coffee Joulies excel at cooling down overly hot beverages, their effectiveness is limited in cooling down drinks that are already at a moderate or lukewarm temperature. Users looking for a product that can handle a broader range of temperatures may find this limitation disappointing;
- Noise Factor: Some users have reported a faint noise produced by the Coffee Joulies as they absorb and release heat. While the noise is generally subtle, it might be a drawback for those who prefer a silent coffee-drinking experience, particularly in quiet environments;
- Initial Cost: The upfront cost of Coffee Joulies might be considered steep by some consumers. Although they are a one-time purchase and can be viewed as a long-term investment, the initial expense might deter budget-conscious coffee drinkers who are content with traditional cooling methods;
- Learning Curve: Understanding the optimal number of Coffee Joulies to use for different cup sizes and coffee volumes can take a bit of trial and error. Some users might find it challenging to strike the right balance initially, which could lead to a less-than-ideal coffee experience;
- Not Suitable for Cold Beverages: Coffee Joulies are specifically designed for hot beverages, and they do not perform the same temperature-regulating function in cold drinks. For those who enjoy a variety of beverages, this limitation may diminish the overall versatility of the product;
Who May Benefit From Using?
1) Coffee Enthusiasts on the Go
For individuals who lead busy lives and are always on the move, Coffee Joulies offers a convenient way to enjoy their favorite hot beverage without the risk of burning their tongues. The portability of the beans makes them an ideal companion for commuters, travelers, and anyone who needs their coffee fix outside the home .
2) Frequent Travelers
Traveling often means encountering a range of coffee temperatures, from overly hot to lukewarm. Coffee Joulies can be a travel-friendly solution to ensure a consistently enjoyable cup, regardless of the coffee available at various destinations.
3) Office Workers
Those working in office environments where coffee may sit on a desk for an extended period can benefit from Coffee Joulies. The beans help maintain an optimal drinking temperature, reducing the need for constant trips to the microwave and allowing for a more enjoyable coffee experience during work hours.
4) Coffee Lovers with Sensitivity to Temperature
Individuals who are particularly sensitive to the temperature of their beverages will appreciate the precision of Coffee Joulies in cooling down hot coffee to a comfortable level. This can be especially beneficial for people with a low tolerance for extremely hot liquids.
5) Environmentally Conscious Consumers
Coffee Joulies’ reusable and durable nature makes them an eco-friendly alternative to disposable coffee accessories. For those who are mindful of their environmental impact, investing in a long-lasting, sustainable product like Coffee Joulies aligns with a commitment to reducing waste.
6) People Who Enjoy Customization
Coffee Joulies offers customization options, allowing users to choose from different colors and finishes. This feature appeals to individuals who value personalization and wish to incorporate a touch of style into their coffee routine.
7) Coffee Enthusiasts in Noisy Environments
While Coffee Joulies may produce a faint noise as they absorb and release heat, this may be less noticeable in environments with ambient noise. Individuals in bustling offices, coffee shops, or other noisy settings may find this a minor inconvenience compared to the benefits of having consistently tempered coffee.
8) Gift Recipients
Given their unique and innovative nature, Coffee Joulies make for an excellent gift for coffee lovers. The combination of functionality, durability, and customization options can make them a thoughtful and practical present for birthdays, holidays, or special occasions.
About Founders Of Coffee Joulies
In their quest to bring this groundbreaking concept to life, Petrillo and Jackson initiated a Kickstarter campaign in March 2011 to secure the necessary initial funding. Their ambitious goal was set at $ 9,500, and to their delight, this target was not only met but surpassed within a mere three days. The month-long campaign proved to be a resounding success, as the Coffee Joulies project garnered substantial support from the Kickstarter community. A staggering 4,800 backers rallied behind the idea, pledging over $ 300,000 to propel Petrillo and Jackson toward the realization of their visionary product .
The early triumph of their crowdfunding campaign provided not only financial backing but also a vote of confidence from a substantial community of enthusiasts. Armed with this substantial support, Petrillo and Jackson navigated the manufacturing process with ease, transforming their conceptualized idea into a tangible and finished product that would revolutionize the way people enjoyed their hot beverages.
The Coffee Joulies, born out of ingenuity and propelled by community support, became a testament to the power of innovative thinking and collaborative funding in bringing revolutionary ideas to fruition.
The Pitch Of Coffee Joulies At Shark Tank
In the early part of 2013, mechanical engineers hailing from New Jersey, Dave Petrillo and Dave Jackson, unveiled their brainchild, Coffee Joulies, on the renowned TV show “Shark Tank.” Their pitch sought a $ 150,000 investment in exchange for a modest 5% stake in their business .
Dave Jackson commenced the pitch with confidence, shedding light on the inconvenience of coffee being typically served at a scorching 179 degrees Fahrenheit. This meant that drinkers had to endure a wait until the beverage reached a drinkable temperature, consuming it hastily before it cooled down.
The dynamic duo elucidated the functionality of Coffee Joulies—small stainless-steel capsules housing an ingenious material. When immersed in hot coffee, these capsules absorbed excess heat, rapidly bringing the drink to an optimal temperature.
Subsequently, they released the stored heat back into the beverage, maintaining it at the perfect drinking range for an extended period. Moreover, when used in a vacuum-insulated travel mug, the drink reached the ideal temperature in a mere five minutes and stayed that way for over five hours.
During a unique demonstration, the sharks were presented with coffee poured three hours earlier, still visibly steaming. This visual spectacle captivated the sharks, with Robert Herjavec particularly impressed by the longevity of the coffee’s heat.
As the pitch unfolded, questions arose. Lori Greiner noted that a Thermos could also keep coffee hot, prompting Petrillo to highlight that a Thermos could keep the coffee too hot for an extended period, unlike Joulies, which cooled it quickly.
Mark Cuban inquired about the monitoring of the drink’s heat, leading Jackson to explain the absorption process until the drink reached a comfortable 140 degrees. At this point, the Joulies would release the stored heat back into the drink.
The sharks delved further, asking about the material composition. Petrillo revealed the high-grade stainless-steel casing and proprietary phase-change material for heat absorption, emphasizing its safety and edibility. However, the specifics of the material remained undisclosed.
Despite some reservations and Daymond John initially opting out, a compelling financial overview unfolded. The partners shared that each Joulie cost $ 3.65 to manufacture and test, retailing at $ 50 for a set of five. Previous-year sales amounted to $ 575,000, albeit with a profit of $ 50,000, considering hefty expenses in tooling, patents, and legal fees.
When Kevin O’Leary sought a 33% interest, he proposed an alternative—a $ 150,000 investment in exchange for a royalty of $ 6 per unit until recouping the investment, then dropping to $ 1 in perpetuity . Lori Greiner expressed interest, envisioning QVC’s support for the product. Robert Herjavec also wanted in, citing his ability to facilitate Joulies’ entry into retailers.
A twist ensued when Daymond John, initially disinterested, reconsidered, eager to join the collective offer made by Kevin, Lori, and Robert. Mark Cuban, preferring a solo investment, offered $ 250,000 for a 12% stake without additional royalties. His vision included a slower build-up for the product and business.
The partners requested a break to consult, prompting Robert to caution Kevin about the high royalty figure for wholesale sales. Concerns were raised, and Kevin interrupted the consultation to propose an improved deal: royalties at $ 6 per retail unit and $ 3 per wholesale unit until recouping the investment, then dropping to $ 1 per unit in perpetuity.
Upon their return, the partners weighed the options and opted for the revised offer from Kevin, Lori, Robert, and Daymond. Despite Mark Cuban’s graceful acceptance of rejection, the air buzzed with excitement as the other sharks welcomed the new partnership, sealing the deal with smiles and handshakes.
Coffee Joulies After The Shark Tank
While a plethora of culinary innovations introduced on “Shark Tank” tend to fizzle out post-show, Coffee Joulies stands out as a success story. Securing a deal with sharks Kevin O’Leary, Lori Greiner, Robert Herjavec, and Daymond John initially brought immense satisfaction to entrepreneurs Dave Petrillo and Dave Jackson. However, it appears that the ink on the deal may never have dried .
In a conversation with the Observer-Dispatch, Petrillo expressed gratitude for the “Shark Tank” exposure, citing unexpected boosts across all categories. Despite their initial pitch focus on the retail and wholesale avenues, the dynamic duo seemingly pivoted away, prioritizing direct-to-consumer sales through the Coffee Joulies website, with retail and wholesale operations taking a backseat.
Operating sans a Shark-backed support system, Coffee Joulies achieved impressive sell-out scenarios, necessitating multiple breaks to replenish stock. The irregular availability of Coffee Joulies could pose a substantial challenge. The burning question then arises: where does the company stand today?
Fast forward to August 2023, and Coffee Joulies boasts a valuation of around $ 5 million. Not content to rest on its laurels, the company expanded its product line to include glass mugs and Beer Joulies, designed to maintain cold beverage temperatures .
Yet, the winds of change are blowing once more, as evidenced by the deactivation of the company’s website. In February 2023, Coffee Joulies reappeared on Facebook after a six-year hiatus, announcing limited-time availability through Thread & Leather.
However, only the original Coffee Joulies are on offer, and they come bundled. For $ 119, consumers can snag five Coffee Joulies and an insulated travel mug, while $ 139 fetches six Coffee Joulies and two insulated travel mugs.
As we peer into the horizon, it regrettably seems that Coffee Joulies might be concluding its narrative. The company’s website lies dormant, and its social media profiles echo with a conspicuous absence of recent activity.
Dave Petrillo retains his title as company president on LinkedIn, but his professional journey has taken a detour. He spent the past five years at Peloton as an engineer and hardware lead. Meanwhile, Dave Jackson, identified as a Coffee Joulies co-founder on Facebook, embarked on a new venture, SpeedBoard, in 2019.
Unfortunately, SpeedBoard’s trajectory mirrors that of Coffee Joulies, with a mere $ 44k raised on Kickstarter and no Facebook updates since 2020 . The social media landscape echoes with demands for answers, with one user accusing the company of executing a “grab and go” with people’s hard-earned money.
The Net Worth Of Coffee Joulies
The company’s revenue is also impressive. It’s reported that the company is pulling in less than $ 5 million annually. The product itself costs $ 3.60 to manufacture each unit, and they sell for $ 50 per package of five .
Despite this success, there have been conflicting reports about the status of the company. One source claims that Coffee Joulies is out of business, although this seems to contradict the majority of the information available.
In addition to its core product, Coffee Joulies has expanded its offerings to include glass mugs. This diversification might be contributing to the company’s sustained growth and increased valuation.
Alternatives To Coffee Joulies:
- Double-Walled Insulated Mugs: Double-walled insulated mugs are designed to keep beverages hot (or cold) for an extended period. These mugs use a vacuum-sealed layer of air between the inner and outer walls to provide insulation, helping to maintain the desired temperature without the need for additional accessories;
- Thermal Carafes: For those who enjoy sipping their coffee over an extended period, thermal carafes can be a practical solution. These containers are designed to keep liquids hot for several hours, allowing users to pour a cup at their preferred temperature without the use of individual cooling devices;
- Reusable Ice Cubes: If the primary concern is cooling down hot beverages, reusable ice cubes made from materials like stainless steel or food-grade plastics can be a viable alternative. These cubes can be pre-chilled in the freezer and then added to the hot coffee to bring down the temperature without diluting the flavor;
- Ceramic or Glass Coffee Mugs: Choosing a quality ceramic or glass coffee mug with good heat retention properties can be a straightforward way to enjoy a consistently warm cup of coffee. These materials retain heat well and are less likely to conduct extreme temperatures to the drinker’s hands;
- Temperature-Controlled Smart Mugs: Emerging smart mug technologies offer temperature control features, allowing users to set and maintain their preferred temperature for the duration of their drink. These mugs often come with accompanying smartphone apps and charging bases to provide a customizable and tech-savvy solution;
- Self-Heating Mugs: Some mugs come with built-in heating elements that can warm up the contents to a desired temperature and maintain it. These self-heating mugs are often rechargeable and can be a convenient option for those who want precise control over their beverage’s temperature;
- Traditional Stirring and Blowing: For those who prefer a low-tech approach, traditional methods like stirring the coffee or blowing on it can still be effective in cooling down a hot beverage. While these methods may require a bit more patience, they are readily accessible and don’t involve any additional gadgets;
- Cooling Plates or Coasters: Specially designed cooling plates or coasters can absorb excess heat from hot beverages, preventing them from reaching scalding temperatures. These can be a passive yet effective way to cool down your coffee without the need for constant attention ;
- Do Joulies actually work?
Coffee Joulies are designed to rapidly cool down hot beverages to an optimal drinking temperature and then maintain that temperature for an extended period. According to user testimonials, they have proven effective in achieving this goal, providing a solution for those seeking temperature control in their coffee.
- Who owns Coffee Joulies?
Coffee Joulies is owned by mechanical engineers from New Jersey, Dave Petrillo and Dave Jackson. The founders successfully brought their innovative product to life and introduced it to the market.
- What is the Shark Tank Deal with the Joulies?
On Shark Tank, Dave Petrillo and Dave Jackson sought a $ 150,000 investment in exchange for a 5% stake in their business. The sharks ultimately struck a deal, with Kevin O’Leary, Lori Greiner, Robert Herjavec, and Daymond John providing the investment.
- Are Coffee Joulies safe?
Yes, Coffee Joulies are designed with safety in mind. The outer casing is made of high-grade stainless steel, and the heat-absorbing material inside is proprietary and reportedly plant-based, edible, and non-toxic.
- Is Pure Coffee safe to drink?
Yes, pure coffee is generally considered safe to drink in moderation. However, individual reactions to caffeine can vary, so individuals should be mindful of their tolerance levels.
- What are Coffee Joulies made of?
Coffee Joulies consist of a high-grade stainless-steel outer casing and a proprietary phase-change material as the heat-absorbing component.
- What coffee company was on Shark Tank?
Coffee Joulies, developed by Dave Petrillo and Dave Jackson, was the coffee-related product featured on Shark Tank.
- What happened to Super Coffee after Shark Tank?
Super Coffee, a brand founded by the DeCicco brothers, gained substantial success after appearing on Shark Tank. The company expanded its product line and secured additional funding outside of the show, becoming a prominent player in the health and wellness beverage market.
- How do you use Coffee Joulies?
Using Coffee Joulies is straightforward. Simply place the Joulies in your hot beverage, and they will absorb excess heat to bring the drink to a comfortable temperature quickly. They will then release the stored heat, maintaining the drink at the ideal temperature.
- Does heating coffee remove caffeine?
Heating coffee does not remove caffeine. Caffeine is a stable compound that remains in the coffee even when it is heated.
- Why can’t you reheat coffee?
Reheating coffee can alter its flavor and aroma. The reheating process can make the coffee taste stale and lose its nuanced flavors. Additionally, prolonged exposure to heat can lead to the breakdown of certain compounds, affecting the overall quality of the coffee.
- Are Coffee Joulies reusable?
Yes, Coffee Joulies are designed to be reusable. Their durable stainless-steel construction ensures longevity, making them an eco-friendly choice compared to disposable alternatives.
- Did Shark Tank invest in Coffee Meets Bagel?
Yes, the founders of the dating app Coffee Meets Bagel secured a deal on Shark Tank. The Kang sisters accepted a $ 30 million offer from Mark Cuban for a stake in their company.
- Who runs Shark Tank?
“Shark Tank” was produced by Mark Burnett. The show features a panel of “sharks” or investors who evaluate and potentially invest in various business pitches presented by entrepreneurs.
- Why is it called Shark Tank?
The show is called “Shark Tank” because entrepreneurs enter a metaphorical “tank” filled with shrewd and successful investors who are often referred to as “sharks.” These sharks decide whether to invest in the presented business ideas.
- Does coffee increase testosterone?
Moderate consumption of coffee has been associated with a temporary increase in testosterone levels. However, the effect is relatively small and may vary among individuals.
- What is the most unhealthy coffee?
The healthiness of coffee can be influenced by additives such as excessive sugar, syrups, and high-fat creamers. Therefore, coffee beverages with substantial added sugars and unhealthy additives are generally considered less healthy. Choosing plain coffee or those with minimal additions is a healthier option.
Useful Video: Shark Tank – Coffee Joulies