Peekaboo Ice Cream, a revolutionary dessert brand that cleverly incorporates hidden vegetables into its delicious flavors, made quite a splash on the hit TV show Shark Tank in 2019 . The brainchild of Jessica Levison, Peekaboo aims to make healthy eating more enjoyable, especially for kids who are usually reluctant to consume their greens.
This article delves into the journey of Peekaboo post-Shark Tank, exploring its growth, challenges, and the current status of the company. We’ll take a look at how this unique concept has fared in the competitive ice cream market since its television debut.
What Is Peekaboo Ice Cream?
Introducing Peekaboo Ice Cream, a top-tier, all-natural frozen treat hailing from the realm of culinary delights. Nestled within the bustling food and beverage landscape, this exclusive ice cream creation boasts a clandestine infusion of wholesome vegetables. Miami Beach serves as the fertile birthplace of this delectable innovation.
Children possess an insatiable fondness for ice cream, but this delectable delight often carries the burden of health concerns and an arsenal of synthetic additives. Despite their parents’ fervent wishes to steer them clear of this sugary temptation, youngsters adamantly clamor for their creamy indulgence.
Peekaboo Ice Cream, the visionary purveyor of Nutrient-Rich Veggie Ice Cream, is crafted with the finest, time-honored ingredients. If broccoli is met with disdain at the dinner table, the same can’t be said for our ingenious ice cream, which captivates the palates of children far and wide .
- Nutrient-Rich: Peekaboo Ice Cream’s standout feature is its innovative blend of vegetables into each scoop. The company uses pureed vegetables like spinach, beet, cauliflower, and carrot to enrich their ice creams, boosting their nutritional content. This elevates the product from being a mere indulgence to a healthier treat option, potentially helping you meet some of your daily vegetable intake;
- Variety of Flavors: Peekaboo offers a wide range of flavors that cater to diverse taste preferences. From classic vanilla with hidden zucchini to strawberry with hidden carrot or mint chocolate chip with spinach, there’s something for every palate. The creative combination of flavors ensures that the taste of vegetables is not overpowering, but subtly present in the background;
- Quality Ingredients: Peekaboo Ice Creams are made with premium ingredients. Their products are organic, non-GMO, gluten-free, and free from artificial colors and flavors. This commitment to quality is a major plus point, especially for consumers who value clean eating and wellness;
- Kid-Friendly: One of the biggest challenges for parents is getting their kids to eat vegetables. Peekaboo Ice Cream is a clever solution to this problem. It’s a fun and enjoyable way to sneak veggies into a child’s diet without them even realizing it ;
- Price: While Peekaboo Ice Cream offers a unique product, it does come at a higher price point compared to traditional ice creams. This could be a deterrent for budget-conscious consumers or those who consume ice cream frequently;
- Availability: Peekaboo Ice Cream is not as widely available as other brands. Though it can be purchased online and in select stores, consumers in some areas may find it difficult to locate;
- Texture: Some consumers have reported that the texture of Peekaboo Ice Cream is slightly different from traditional ice creams, likely due to the addition of vegetable purees. This could be off-putting for those who prefer the creamy consistency of regular ice cream;
- Taste: While many enjoy the unique flavors, others may find the taste of vegetables in their dessert a bit unusual. It’s a matter of personal preference, but worth noting for those expecting a classic ice cream experience;
What sets this ice cream apart is the covert presence of veggies in every delightful flavor.
Immerse yourself in Vanilla with Concealed Zucchini, savor Strawberry with Secret Carrot, relish Mint Chip with Stealthy Spinach, delight in Cotton Candy with Undercover Beets, embrace Chocolate with Covert Cauliflower, revel in Unicorn with Submerged Zucchini, indulge in Cookie Dough with Veiled Zucchini, and experience Strawberry Sorbet with Concealed Tomatoes or Mango Sorbet with Surreptitious Squash .
Peekaboo Ice Cream is the embodiment of wholesome indulgence, redefining how you enjoy your frozen delights.
About the Founders Of Peekaboo Ice Cream
Initially, her career path led her to serve as a legal aid advocate in Broward County, a role she cherished deeply. Yet, the allure of ice cream never faded. Jessica’s dual life as an attorney and an ice cream entrepreneur began when she founded Serendipity Creamery, establishing its presence in Surfside and Wynwood, Florida.
While continuing her legal practice, Jessica found herself facing the parental conundrum of ensuring her children maintained a nutritious diet, while the perennial struggle of coaxing them to eat vegetables loomed large. Her dedication to both motherhood and her business sparked a novel idea: Could ice cream be crafted to be both organic and delightful while incorporating essential nutrients from vegetables? Jessica’s quest led her to the Ice Cream Short Course at Penn State, where she immersed herself in the science and art of ice cream production, solidifying her innovative concept.
In a revealing conversation with Meggen Taylor, featured in Forbes Magazine on June 6, 2020, Jessica shared her journey. Armed with the necessary permits and self-funded resources, she not only found joy in savoring ice cream but also in the creative exploration of flavors. Local chefs, captivated by her culinary prowess, sought out unique sorbets infused with seasonal ingredients, like the intriguing “carrot mango sorbet”.
The notion of ice cream with vegetable elements may initially raise eyebrows, but it’s not the first time gastronomy has embraced seemingly unusual pairings involving vegetables, such as the delectable zucchini bread or the trendy carrot wedding cake.
Numerous glowing reviews of Peekaboo Ice Cream underscore its delectable taste, as children readily indulge without protest. The offerings are diverse, including Unicorn (a birthday cake flavor enriched with zucchini), Strawberry (infused with carrots), Chocolate (embellished with cauliflower), or Mint Chip (imbued with spinach).
Rebecca Ditkoff, a registered dietitian based in Manhattan, even featured Peekaboo Ice Cream on a list of convenient foods with commendable nutritional profiles .
It’s important to note that Peekaboo Organics doesn’t assert that their product is a vegetable replacement, but rather an accessible means of incorporating some of the recommended daily nutrients from vegetables into one’s diet.
Peekaboo Ice Cream is available in pints and petite cup sizes, accessible through Amazon, the Peekaboo website (complete with a local store locator), as well as major grocery chains like Whole Foods and Safeway.
The Pitch Of Peekaboo Ice Cream At Shark Tank
Jessica Weiss Levison took the stage on the iconic television show, Shark Tank, with a bold proposition in mind. She sought $ 800,000 in exchange for an 8% stake in her brainchild, Peekaboo Ice Cream . As she commenced her pitch, Jessica recounted her inspirational journey and the genesis of her innovative ice cream concept. To further entice the sharks, she graciously distributed sample pints of her ice cream for them to savor. The initial response was promising, as the sharks seemed to appreciate the delectable treat. However, underlying concerns soon emerged.
The pivotal moment arrived when the sharks learned about the company’s purported valuation of $ 10 million.
This revelation sparked skepticism, especially when contrasted with Jessica’s reported earnings of a modest $ 450,000 in the previous year.
Jessica attempted to defend her position by projecting ambitious sales of $ 5 million by year-end, along with plans to expand her ice cream presence into a staggering 3,000 stores .
Nevertheless, the majority of the sharks promptly withdrew from the deal, citing reservations.
Despite the challenging turn of events, Jessica received her first offer from Lori Greiner. Lori proposed $ 800,000 in exchange for a 5% stake in the company. However, she added the stipulation of a 6% interest rate over a 3-year period and urged Jessica to introduce a low-fat ice cream option. Kevin O’Leary also entered the fray with an offer of $ 800,000 but with a more substantial 9% interest rate.
Jessica, determined to secure a more favorable arrangement, attempted to negotiate with Lori and Kevin, but both sharks firmly held their ground. Regrettably, the negotiations did not yield the desired outcome, and Jessica departed the Shark Tank without a deal , a testament to the challenging and unpredictable nature of entrepreneurship on the show.
Peekaboo Ice Cream After The Shark Tank
Peekaboo Ice Cream, a novel creation crafted from vegan wedges, garnered the spotlight thanks to its feature in the renowned publication associated with the hit show, Shark Tank.
Forbes, in its coverage of Peekaboo, hailed the company’s innovative approach as a solution to genuine problems. The accolades continued with glowing reviews in Good and Today Magazine, further cementing Peekaboo’s status as a trailblazer.
Jessica, the visionary behind Peekaboo, revealed ambitious post-Shark Tank plans. She aspired to expand the ice cream’s presence to encompass a staggering 3,000 stores across the United States. This impressive rollout would include renowned retailers like Kroger, Safeway, Whole Foods, Bristol Farms, Lazy Acres, Shop-Rite, Amazon, and more.
Despite a promising trajectory, Peekaboo faced a slight setback in 2021. Although the company achieved an impressive annual revenue of $ 3 million in July of that year, the lingering impact of the COVID-19 pandemic prevented it from reaching its projected $ 5 million in revenue for 2021 .
Fast-forward to November 2022, and Peekaboo’s online presence told a tale of success. The ice cream had completely sold out on its official website and was also unavailable on Amazon, a testament to its popularity.
Remarkably, while Peekaboo’s official Instagram account, “@eatpeekaboo”, had remained dormant since December 27, 2021, the brand’s website remained active, providing a glimpse of its enduring appeal.
Although Peekaboo didn’t secure an investment in Shark Tank, it experienced remarkable post-show success. The ice cream found its way onto the shelves of prominent supermarkets, including Whole Foods, Bristol Farms, and many others.
The Net Worth Of Peekaboo Ice Cream
The ice cream industry is undoubtedly a fiercely competitive landscape, with major players continuously expanding their market presence.
What truly astounds is the remarkable ascent of Peekaboo Ice Cream, achieving a valuation of $ 10 million in a mere decade. This meteoric rise showcases the brand’s innovative approach and unwavering commitment to delivering a unique product to its customers.
Analyzing Peekaboo Ice Cream’s 2021 annual revenue of $ 3 million, one could estimate its potential net worth to be around $ 1.4 million, assuming that expenses, debts, and other financial factors remain constant . It’s worth noting that net worth is a complex financial metric that encompasses various factors, including assets, liabilities, and equity.
Despite the challenges, Peekaboo Ice Cream demonstrated its resilience and innovation. The company earned recognition from the California Milk Snackcelerator, securing a $ 200,000 grant for their snack-sized ice cream treats. Furthermore, Peekaboo enjoyed favorable features in esteemed publications such as Forbes, PopSugar, Parenting.com, and CNBC.
Peekaboo Ice Cream has intelligently diversified its distribution channels, making its presence felt not only in retail and supermarket stores but also in prestigious hotels, high-profile events, and acclaimed restaurants. This multi-pronged strategy has undoubtedly contributed to its remarkable success.
In the age of digital communication, Peekaboo should seize the opportunity to bolster its online presence. The power of the internet can be harnessed to effectively communicate the brand’s story and unique offerings to a broader audience.
By leveraging digital marketing and e-commerce platforms, Peekaboo can engage with customers directly and create a lasting digital identity that resonates with its target audience. Such a strategic move aligns with the modern consumer’s preferences and can further fuel the company’s growth trajectory.
Alternatives To Peekaboo Ice Cream :
- Van Leeuwen Ice Cream: This brand offers a wide range of flavors, including vegan and gluten-free options. While it does not incorporate vegetables into its ice cream, it is known for its high-quality ingredients and commitment to natural flavors;
- Salt & Straw: Known for its artisanal, handcrafted ice creams, Salt & Straw offers some unique flavors that might appeal to adventurous dessert lovers. They don’t hide veggies in their ice cream, but their innovative approach to flavors might be of interest;
- Ample Hills: This Brooklyn-based ice cream company prides itself on making all its ice cream in-house from scratch. Their flavors are creative and indulgent, but they do not include hidden vegetables;
- Halo Top: For those looking for a lower-calorie option, Halo Top could be a good choice. Their ice creams are protein-rich and low in sugar, making them a healthier alternative. However, they do not include hidden vegetables;
- La Michoacana: This brand offers traditional Mexican paletas (ice pops), which can be a refreshing change from regular ice cream. They offer fruit-based options, but do not hide vegetables in their products;
- Veggie Cream: As the name suggests, Veggie Cream also incorporates vegetables into their ice cream, making them a direct competitor to Peekaboo. They could be a good alternative for those who enjoy the concept of vegetable-infused ice cream;
- Coconuts Organic: This UK-based company offers dairy-free ice cream made from coconut milk. They do not use vegetables but are a great option for those looking for vegan or lactose-free alternatives;
- MilkMade Ice Cream: MilkMade is another artisanal ice cream brand that prides itself on using locally sourced, sustainable ingredients. They do not hide vegetables in their ice cream but offer a range of unique flavors;
- Epigamia: Known for its Greek yogurt, Epigamia also offers a range of frozen desserts. They do not use vegetables in their products, but their offerings are high in protein and lower in sugar compared to traditional ice cream;
- Howdy Homemade: This ice cream shop is known for its mission to employ individuals with special needs. They offer a variety of homemade flavors, but do not include hidden vegetables ;
- Who is the owner of Peekaboo Ice Cream?
Jessica Weiss Levison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Peekaboo Organics, LLC, which produces Peekaboo Ice Cream . She launched this innovative ice cream brand with the aim of making healthy eating more enjoyable, particularly for children.
- Where is Peekaboo Ice Cream’s headquarters?
Peekaboo Ice Cream is based in Miami, Florida.
- Is Peekaboo Ice Cream still in business?
Yes, Peekaboo Ice Cream is still in business.
- What’s the sugar content like?
Every Peekaboo ice cream variant boasts a unique sugar level indicated on the label. Their delightful mix-ins, or what ice cream aficionados might call the chips, chunks, and delectable morsels, contribute to the overall sugar content.
- Is Peekaboo suitable for vegans?
The brand is on a mission to encourage everyone to incorporate more vegetables into its diets, and they have been hard at work creating delectable recipes for vegan friends. During the summer of 2023, they were excited to introduce our first two vegan options: strawberry sorbet with a hidden tomato twist and mango sorbet featuring concealed squash.
- What about gluten?
The majority of Peekaboo’s delightful flavors proudly wear the gluten-free label, clearly marked by the GF symbol on our packaging. However, it’s important to note that these products come to life in a facility where gluten-containing items are also produced, so their manufacturing facility isn’t entirely gluten-free.
- Are real veggies part of the equation?
Peekaboo is crafted with bona fide, organic vegetables, even though they remain out of sight and taste. Savoring your veggies has never been this delightful, resembling a harmonious fusion of the produce aisle and the ice cream aisle.
- How much veggie goodness is packed in each Peekaboo Ice Cream?
Each container holds more than a single serving of veggies. For a detailed breakdown, feel free to explore their flavors page.
- Can it be eaten by people with nut allergies?
Peekaboo is created in a facility that also crafts products containing milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and wheat. Be assured, we adhere to strict manufacturing processes, meticulously organizing our production days to minimize allergen exposure and diligently sanitizing our equipment between every flavor .
- Is Peekaboo kosher?
Absolutely! The company proudly holds Kosher Dairy certification from the OU (Orthodox Union).
- How many calories are in Peekaboo Ice Cream?
Peekaboo offers a delectable variety of ice creams, each with its unique flavor and calorie count. Indulge in the guilt-free pleasure of Strawberry Ice Cream, subtly concealing 170 calories in every half-cup serving.
For those craving a rich, chocolatey experience, the Organic Chocolate Ice Cream discreetly incorporates 230 calories per half-cup. Meanwhile, the Organic Cotton Candy Ice Cream, infused with hidden beets, offers a delightful treat at 200 calories for the same serving size. These calorie counts provide a snapshot of the delectable yet nutritious options Peekaboo has to offer.
- Does low-calorie ice cream exist?
Yes, low-calorie ice cream does exist. Brands like Halo Top and Arctic Zero specialize in producing lower-calorie, healthier alternatives to traditional ice cream.
- How much is the original Peekaboo Ice Cream pack?
A single pack of Peekaboo Ice Cream is priced at approximately $ 60. This price reflects the cost of a two-pack of 8 ice creams, showcasing the brand’s variety of flavors and offerings.
Useful Video: Chi’Lantro owner honored with Immigrant Achievement Award